I’m an educator by trade, and even for me, it’s a daunting task to try to keep Daniel, my 10-year-old, 4th grader on his school schedule.
What does a typical 4th-grade class schedule look like? I Googled it-
8:00-8:15–Morning Routine/Silent Reading
9:50-10:30–Specials (music, art, library, comp. lab, pe)
10:30-11:30– Writer’s Workshop
12:50-1:05: Teacher Read-Aloud
1:05-2:05: Math Workshop
It’s important to keep this kid on a regular schedule, so here’s my plan:
- Make sure he goes to bed early.
- Get him up early.
- Eat breakfast.
- Limit technology throughout the day.
- Silent Reading for 10-15 minutes.
- I Googled “4th Grade Word Study” and came across this from a school website (videos and PDFs).
- Reader’s Workshop: Daniel will read and write about what he read. I looked up reading comprehension strategies. MPS has a great list of Reading Strategies. I’m going to use this as well.
- He will have to express his understanding by writing about what he read. Here’s the MPS list of Writing Strategies that I will also be using. I’ll also refer to student writing models from the Write Source website so I know what “pretty looks like”.
- Gym: going outside and riding his bike, walking, going to the tennis courts, etc.
- Music: He’ll practice his guitar, learn about musical periods and movements.
- Art: He has his own art supplies. My mom is an artist and can Facetime him private lessons. YouTube is a great resource as well.
- Cooking: I’ll have him cook with me. We’ll work on measurement and safe cooking practices.
- Social Studies (I’ll go to the MPS Student Resource page/Online Resources):
- U.S. History
- World History
- Math: MPS Student Resource page
- Science: MPS Student Resource page and I have a science workbook I ordered off of Amazon for 4th grade. I’ll use online resources as well.
- Socratic seminar
- The renaissance period- art, music, philosophy
- World Religion